A Positive Voice Working for the Community in:
Traffic and Transportation: Let’s get Galway moving
For five years I have helped shape the Galway Transport Strategy. We demand public transport corridors, park & ride facilities for east and west of the city, dedicated cycle paths, extension of the Bike Share scheme to Salthill, improved pedestrian routes, and to actively encourage a shift from private to public transport. This needs to happen in parallel with, not after, planning and construction of the N6 Galway City Ring Road.
The transport issues at Parkmore are urgent. We need to complete the short-term measures to reduce traffic congestion which impacts the lives of so many workers living across our city.
Through my elected membership, I have supported at local, regional and European levels the expansion of Galway Port to facilitate larger vessels and release inner harbour lands for city development.
I secured vital public space for visitor coach parking in the city centre. This should to be developed with further facilities, and extended to Salthill.
New bus shelters in Knocknacarra need to be erected quickly and made available to passengers of both private and public buses. My campaign for more bus routes to and from Knocknacarra and Salthill will continue.
Speed limits on Cappagh, Ballymoneen and Clybaun Roads must be reduced to 50kmph. I will continue to facilitate all local residents’ associations demands for improved road safety measures within housing estates, and more speed detection signs and traffic calming measures outside them.
As a member of Galway City Council
- I support the N6 Galway City Ring Road.
- I will continue to work on public transport corridors, park and ride facilities for the east and west of city, cycle ways and the extension of the Bike Share scheme in Salthill and improved pedestrian routes.
- I support the urgency of the issues at Parkmore and the need to have the completion of the short term measures to reduce traffic congestion.
- I fully support the expansion of Galway Port to facilitate larger vessels and free up inner harbour lands for development.
- I secured facilities for visitor coach parking in city centre. This needs to be developed with further facilities and the same made available in Salthill.
- The approved new bus shelters in Knocknacarra to be carried out at soonest and more bus routes from/to Knocknacarra and Salthill.
- Speed limits on Cappagh, Ballymoneen and Clybaun Roads to be reduced to 50km.